CRHNet awards Symposium Travel Bursaries annually to deserving students and emerging professionals from across Canada to help defray the travel costs associated with attending the Annual CRHNet Symposium. The bursaries are intended to encourage and promote ongoing learning, participation, and the sharing of research contributions/innovative ideas to the field of Canadian disaster risk management.
Number and Value of Awards: Five bursaries of $500 each are presented at the annual fall CRHNet Symposium. Symposium fees are also waived for bursary recipients.
Eligibility: To be eligible to receive this award the applicant must:
– Be a registered student entering, continuing in, or having just completed (within 12 months of award application date) a disaster or emergency management related program offered by an accredited Canadian post-secondary educational institution.
– Be an emerging professional who has graduated from a disaster or emergency management related program from a nationally accredited institution of higher learning within the past five years.
Deadline: Due to the change to a virtual symposium for 2022, student travel bursaries will not be awarded for this year.
Selection: All applications will be adjudicated by the CRHNet Awards Committee. Applications will be assessed based on the applicant’s articulated rationale for attending the symposium, current contributions to the symposium and field of study/practice, and future goals related to the field of disaster risk management. Preference will be given to those students who are planning on presenting/volunteering at the CRHNet Symposium.
Award Acceptance: Awards must be accepted or declined within one week of notification.
Additional Requirements for Award Recipients:
- During Symposium: Recipients are required to assist at the Symposium Registration Desk for two hours; and
- After Symposium: Recipients must submit a 200- to 400-word reflection on key learnings/experience at the symposium for publication consideration in the HazNet magazine and/or CRHNet website. This must be submitted by: TBD
Application Instructions: Please submit an application package to the CRHNet Awards Committee at the email below by the stated deadline. Be sure to identify “CRHNet Student Symposium Travel Bursary” in the subject line, and to attach the following documents in Word or PDF formats:
- Completed Symposium Travel Bursary Application Form
- Short summary describing rationale for attending the CRHNet symposium (max. 500 words). Be sure to relate this to the selection criteria indicated above
- Abstract of any poster/presentation planned for the symposium (if applicable)
Symposium Travel Bursary Committee: awards@CRHNet.ca
Past Award Winners
2016 – 2017 – Halifax
Emily Gray, Univ. of British Columbia;
Diamir de Scally, Univ. of Waterloo;
Kari Lentowicz, Royal Roads University;
Arielle Dalley, Univ. of British Columbia;
Brennan Vogel, Univ. of Western Ontario – declined.
2015/16 – Montreal
Arielle Dalley, Master’s Student, University of British Columbia
Catherine Kenny, Master’s Student, York University
Alexandra Rutledge, Master’s Student, University of Waterloo
Amber Silver, Doctoral Candidate, University of Waterloo – declined.
Lacey Willmott, Doctoral Candidate, University of Waterloo
2014/15 – Calgary
Christopher Carter, University of British Columbia
Michelle Marteleira, University of British Columbia
Alexandra Rutledge, University of Waterloo
Brittany Schina, University of Victoria (declined)
Jeremy Stone, University of British Columbia
2013/14 – Toronto
Stephanie Sodero, Memorial University
Heather McGrath, University of New Brunswick
Alex Valoroso, Royal Roads University
Maher El Hares, Northern Alberta Institute of Technology
Shaun Koopman, Royal Roads University
2012/13 – Regina
Hebba Elmoslimany, York University
Leah de Montreuil, University of Victoria
Rudy Riedlsperger, Memorial University
Sarah-Maude Guindon, York University
Greg Bartlett, Brandon University
Julia Scharbach, University of Saskatchewan
Mohammed Salim Uddin, University of Manitoba
Umma Tamima, McGill University
Ram Jee Karki, Kathmandu University – Nepal (Declined)
Barry Bouwsema, Capella University